RSW is a full-service CPA firm dedicated to serving the accounting and tax needs of privately held businesses and entrepreneurial owner families. A building block of our more than 70-year history, is to uphold our excellent inclusive caring culture marked by “big picture” learning opportunities, through enhanced relationships with all including our Partners. We celebrate and promote cultural diversity in our workforce.
We are looking for candidates who are self-driven and wish to follow their passion in accounting & tax while servicing their community and adding value to clients. Providing the best service levels is the realization of working with an active and open collaborative mindset and knowing that one’s work is valued and respected while contributing to the goals of the organization. Individual team members are not micro-managed and they continually develop through learning, leading, teaching and the building of relationships.
As the Accounting and Tax Specialist your work will encompass a variety of levels, and should always be valued and impactful. From filling necessary compliance forms with the authorities, to reviewing and assisting the work of others, our specialist will become the “right hand” professional to our senior and partner level tax executives. You will be given the latitude to solve existing challenges, and to assist our partners in delivering executive leadership advice on current and emerging issues related to tax.
This position will report directly to RSW’s senior tax partner, and remuneration will be competitive to start relative to experience, and then based on the skills and experience the candidate is able to demonstrate:
Duties and responsibilities that you can expect to focus their efforts on:
- Prepare and review of individual, self-employed individuals, and trust/estate income tax returns.
- Prepare and/or review notice to readers, financial statements, and corporate tax returns.
- Analyze tax authorities notices of assessments and request for information, as well as assist in drafting objections and responses
- Carry-out basic and slightly advanced tax research using databases search engines and prepare short memoranda on findings.
- Respond to tax queries from clients and governments concerning Canadian tax consequences.
- Actively work with tax authorities on income and sales tax audits.
- Assist all partners and managers in drafting communications and memoranda to clients.
- Assist in modifying and developing procedures to enhance the quality control process.
- Raise awareness on new and emerging tax topics to partners and firm staff.
General Professional Profile that you need to demonstrate:
- Compulsory accounting background with up to 5 years of experience in Canadian taxation within a CPA firm; and an accounting designation is preferred along with a desire to pursue a career in Canadian taxation.
- Bilingual candidates are preferred but not required. All must demonstrate capacity in communicating in a competent manner both orally and written in either French or English. Working knowledge of the other language is required.
- On rare occasions but not regularly, must be willing to work beyond normal working hours so that mandates in process with narrow or concurrent timelines, are completed within promised deadlines.
Technical Professional Profile that you need to demonstrate:
- Perform research with ease using search engines such as CCH or Taxnetpro;
- Must know both the Taxprep and/or DT Max software suites.
- Must be proficient in Excel and Word
- Must be proficient in accounting regarding compilation mandates, while upholding professional standards.
- Soft skills that the ideal candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- A particular and a constant attention to detail with superior active listening
- Time management
- Analytical ability
- Willingness and curiosity to continue learning
- Communication skills to engage with staff, clients, and tax authorities
Benefits we provide
- Employer contribution to a retirement savings plan
- Group Insurance/Life/Disability
- Access to employees and their families to a virtual health network
- Hybrid work environment
- Profit sharing plan
- Referral bonus for client and business development
- Payment of professional dues
- Payment of training courses and seminars geared towards to continuous development
Those interested in exploring this career opportunity, are encouraged to direct their CV along with a brief cover letter, in full confidentiality, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those whose background and experience match the requirements of the role will be contacted for an initial interview. No phone calls please.